LACEY HISTORICAL COMMISSION MEETING MINUTES
January 7, 2013 6:00 p.m.
Lacey City Hall- Council Chambers
Commission: Ken Dean, Shirley Binkley, Kimberley Bauman, Stefanie Deyette, and Ariana Rivera.
Staff: Lori Flemm, Amber Raney
Public: Diane Dean
Historical Society: Shirley Dziedzic and Lanny Weaver
Excused Absence: Rosalie Raps Melncik and Kristina Trebil
The meeting was called to order at 6:02 p.m. by Ken Dean.
No additions or deletions to the agenda.
The December 3, 2012 minutes were approved and placed on record.
Stefanie will be officially appointed to the Lacey Historical Commission at the January 10th Lacey City Council meeting, 7:00 p.m.
a) Lacey Historical Society: Lanny reminded the commissioners that the Lacey Historical Society takes the month of December off, so they have not yet begun working on 2013 items. Shirley announced that the LHS will be celebrating 33 years in 2013. She also shared a card that Roger had given her a couple of years ago that she wished to share with the commissioners to highlight Roger’s importance to all heritage groups in Thurston County. Shirley also shared that Bessie Porteous had passed away. She was 103, and sister of Tom Huntamer, former Mayor of Lacey. She stated that the purpose of the Lacey Historical Society is to protect the history of people such as Bessie and Roger. She said that she looks forward to 2013 and working together toward 2016.
Lori inquired as to whether or not Lois McKinney was any relation to McKinney family who owns McKinney Appliance. Lanny does not believe so, nor Shirley. However, Shirley mentioned that she could ask Helen Drake, who knew Lois well.
b) Others: No report.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Lori distributed the calendar for 2013, showing meeting dates for the upcoming year and mentioned that the only new item is Stefanie’s appointment on January 10th.
a) Himes Diary Digitization and Transcription Phase 2 (Progress Update): Amber reported that, with the help of Kristina, Ariana, Stefanie, Ken, and Lanny, she was able to complete the transcription of the diaries prior to the December 31 deadline, eliminating the need for an extension. She thanked the commissioners again for all of their hard work, and will bring her final report to the February meeting.
b) General Commissioner Recruitment: There remains one additional vacancy after Stefanie’s appointment. Amber will contact Ann, the retired teacher who attended the December meeting, to see if she might be interested at all and to reassure her that her commitment level is whatever she can give. Amber will also advise her that she can talk to the other commissioners for additional information.
c) Review draft of Museum Master Plan: Lori distributed the changes she received for the Master Plan to the commissioners. She will be presenting it to the Lacey Historical Society on Thursday, February 14, per Shirley’s request that the Trustees have a chance to review it first. Interim approval of the plan is scheduled for March 4, with final review happening after the schematic design phase is complete. Discussion of Section III, VII, and VIII followed.
a) Lake Lois Habitat Reserve, Saint Martin’s University student project: Lori apologized for not inviting the commissioners to the presentation. She received confirmation of the date without much leeway to extend the invitation to the group. She reported that the students designed a parking lot, developed a use for the building (interpretive center), and worked on the trail system—designing a bridge. This was accomplished using a master plan that was done many years ago. She asked the commissioners to provide direction as to whether or not the interior of the building should remain—specifically the lunch counter and the fireplace. The commissioners unanimously decided that those elements should be incorporated into any new design of the structure. Kimberley also suggested that the students accommodate those who travel in RVs when planning the parking lot. The commissioners were generally very pleased with the plans.
b) Discussion of 2012 & 2013 work plan and goals: Amber distributed the amended work plan and goals. It was discovered that a motion to accept them had not been issued at the December meeting. Therefore,
Motion: Accept the 2012 & 2013 Work Plan and Goals as written.
The motion was seconded passed unanimously.
AD HOC COMMITTEE REPORTS
Depot: Report postponed.
STAFF / MUSEUM REPORT
1. Amber reported that she and Lanny installed an exhibit on Christmas Island and Leonard Huber’s Scenes at the Lacey Timberland Library on December 3.
2. On Wednesday, December 19, Amber and Steve Kirkman attended a webinar hosted by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) regarding a grant opportunity that the City of Lacey will be applying for. The funds can be used for exhibit design and fabrication—a maximum of $150,000. The grant is due Tuesday, January 15.
3. After much consideration and discussion, Amber decided that it would be prudent to complete the transcription of the George Himes Diaries to meet the December 31 deadline. As a result, she reported that she spent the remainder of the month of December transcribing pages. Amber reported that the deadline was met and the work was completed. This effort would not have been successful without transcription help of Lanny, Stefanie, Kristina, Ariana, and Ken, or the additional work provided by Lanny to revise and reformat the final pages. She expressed her immense gratitude for everyone’s help in achieving this goal.
4. Amber removed the Christmas Island Exhibit on Wednesday, January 2, and received positive feedback from library staff.
5. Amber and Steve Kirkman are working on the IMLS grant due January 15.
Lori reported that she saw Amber’s Christmas Island Exhibit at the Lacey Timberland Library, and that it was very impressive. Amber thanked her.
Meeting adjourned at 8:03 p.m.
Monday, February 4, 2013, 6:00 p.m. at Lacey City Hall