BOARD OF PARK COMMISSIONERS MINUTES
Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:30pm, Lacey City Hall
Commission: Glen Crandal, Gary Hanson, Paul Royer, Shawn Smith, Lu Carlson & Robert Kowalski
Staff: Lori Flemm, Justin Beard, Sue Falash
The meeting was called to order at 5:34 pm, by Chair Paul Royer.
Additions or deletions to the Agenda
No additions or deletions to the agenda.
The October 23, 2013 minutes were unanimously approved and placed on record.
No meeting November 27
December meeting is on December 4 (instead of Dec. 25)
Received 3 responses to the letters Paul Royer sent last month to emergency response agencies.
Commissioners discussed the suitability of bee hives in city parks, installation, maintenance and potential vandalism and liability. All agreed bee hives are a good idea, however they do not seem compatible in Lacey Parks.
1) Programs & Special Events: Ms. Flemm gave a report on the attendance and success at fall events: Children’s Day, Summer’s End Car Show, the National Labrador Dog Show at the RAC, and the Rampage at the RAC. The attendance of recent Alternative Energy Fairs (AEF), and the relevance of the sources of alternative energy being promoted, with some now mainstream (electric cars) is leading to an analysis and evaluation of the AEF.
2) Volunteer projects: Ms. Flemm briefed the Commissioners on the raised garden bed constructed at the Senior Center and the projects at Lake Lois Habitat Reserve.
a) Construction Project Updates
1) Message Board at the RAC: Message board is still not working properly. Once it is up and running, the surrounding area will be landscaped.
2) Senior Center:
The concrete slab has cracked and needs to be repaired. The contractor will make repairs as soon as he is able. It is not uncommon for this to occur but is still a fairly large repair job, covered by warranty so should be no cost to the City.
3) Woodland Creek Community Park: RWIF & RCO Grant
The reclaimed water project is nearly complete, the area has been hydroseeded and partially fenced.
1) Jacob Smith House:
The request for additional funds for 2014 was not carried forward to the budget proposed to city countil, so this project will be reevaluated to see how available funds can be best used.
2) Lacey Museum at the Depot: Exhibit planning is underway.
3) Cuoio Community Park: St. Martin’s student project:
Project presentation will likely be in December, date and time to be determined. Lori will email date and time and would like at least one Commissioner to attend the student presentation.
c) Grants & Budget
1) 2014 Budget; City Council approval of the budget is expected at the December 5 meeting:
2) Raised Garden Bed Grant: $1,500 grant from Thurston County Public Health and Social Services funded the raised garden beds at the Senior Center.
No citizens present.
a) PARC Foundation, Paul Royer: Did not attend the meeting. Regional Park Board meeting and Specialized Recreation Programs were discussed.
a) Alcohol policy
Commissioners reviewed and discussed policy revisions, made clarifications and corrected typos.
Motion: To adopt the Alcohol Policy as written.
The motion was seconded and unanimously approved.
Meeting adjourned at 7:04pm
Next meeting: Wednesday, Dec. 4 at 5:30pm at the Lacey City Hall.