PLANNING & ZONING
Lacey Planning Commission Rules of Procedure
RULES OF PROCEDURE
LACEY PLANNING COMMISSION
We, the members of the Planning Commission of the City of Lacey, State of Washington, created by Chapter 2.32 of the City of Lacey City Council, pursuant to Chapter 44, Laws of 1935 (RCW 35A.63.060) do hereby adopt, publish and declare the following Rules of Procedure.
The official name shall be the "Lacey Planning Commission."
- Regular Meetings - The Planning Commission shall meet regularly on the first and third Tuesday of each month.
- Special Meetings - May be called by the Chair of the Planning Commission when a certain case, question or matter of interest arises where it would be necessary and proper for the Planning Commission, or committee, to meet.
- All Planning Commission meetings will be held at Lacey City Hall, Lacey, Washington, unless otherwise directed by the Chair of the Planning Commission.
- When a regular meetings falls on a legal holiday, the Planning Commission will meet on the day following that legal holiday or as scheduled.
- If no matter over which the Planning Commission has jurisdiction is pending on its calendar, a meeting may be canceled at the notice of the Chair, and notice should be posted at the meeting place.
- Except as modified by these Rules of Procedure, Robert's Rules of Order, Revised, shall govern the conduct of the meetings.
III. Election of Officers
- The officers of the Planning Commission shall be a Chair and a Vice-Chair elected by the appointed members of the Planning Commission, and such other officers as the Planning Commission may elect.
- The election of officers shall take place each year on the occasion of the last regular meeting in December of each calendar year. The term of each officer shall begin each year on the occasion of the first regular meeting in January of each calendar year. The term of each officer shall run until the subsequent election.
- In the event of the vacancy of the Chair, the Chair will be replaced by the Vice-Chair, and the Vice-Chair will be replaced by a vote of the members of the Planning Commission.
- The Chair shall preside over the meetings of the Planning Commission and may exercise all powers usually incident to the office, retaining the right to have a vote recorded in all deliverations of the Planning Commission.
- The Chair shall have power to create temporary committees of one or more members. Committees of the Planning Commission shall be created at the direction of the Planning Commission and shall be appointed by the Chair. Temporary committees may be charged with such duties, examinations, investigations and inquiries relating to matters of interest to the Planning Commission. No committee shall have the power to commit the Planning Commission to the endorsement of any plan, case or program without the approval of the Planning Commission.
- The Chair shall rule on issues regarding: The committee of the whole, handling of meeting items and discussions, conflict of interest, appearance of fairness, suspension of meetings, timing for discussion of issues, and clarification of issues and questions.
V. Chair's Absence
The Vice-Chair shall, in the absence of the Chair, perform all duties of the Chair. The Chair and Vice-Chair, both being absent, the members present may elect for the meeting a temporary Chair who shall exercise the powers of the elected Chair.
The Staff shall perform the usual and necessary secretarial functions. All Planning Commission minutes shall be signed by the Chair of the Planning Commission.
A majority of the membership of the Planning Commission shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. Any action taken by a majority of those present, when those present constitute a quorum, at any regular or special meeting of the Planning Commission, shall be deemed and taken as the action of the Commission.
VIII. Absence of Members
In the event of a member being absent from three consecutive regular meetings, or being absent from 35 percent of all meetings (including committee) in any six-month period, the member's record shall be forwarded by the Chair to the Mayor for consideration of asking for the member's resignation.
IX. Conflict of Interest
Any member of the Planning Commission who has a conflict of interest with a particular case should publicly announce this conflict of interest at the earliest possible opportunity or when the conflict is realized. This member shall not partake in the discussion or voting on said case, and shall step down during the particular case in question.
X. Application and Petition
Applications and petitions will be accepted by the Planning Commission only when properly filed as in XII-B below.
In order that proper deliberations and consideration be given to any application, the Planning Commission reserves the right to withhold any decision on any application for a period not to exceed the time set forth in the governing ordinance.
XI. Organization and Responsibility
- Regular Meetings - Public Hearings
- All actions by the Planning Commission shall be forwarded to the Lacey City Council for final action. Cases for which no action is taken by the Planning Commission shall be forwarded to a committee for review and recommendation.
- On matters requiring public hearings, such hearings shall be held only after complying with State Environmental Policy Act procedures. A matter may be heard at the public hearing pending the threshold environmental determination of the Environmental Impact Review Committee, but such matter shall not be referred from the Planning Commission to the City Council, prior to the rendering of the threshold determination or the preparation of a Final Environmental Impact Statement if one is required.
- Presentation of each item of business at the public hearing will be done by the Planning Staff. Following the public hearing and necessary discussion, a recommendation for action will be made to the Planning Commission by the Planning Staff, or committee, if the case has been so referred.
- No official action from the Planning Commission or recommendation of any committee will be considered prior to any required public hearing. Exceptions may be considered only on items which have had prior hearings and which have been resubmitted for consideration, provided that no new conditions or no new information is present.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Chair to present to the City Council, through the Planning Staff, special information regarding those cases or proposals having unusual significance.
- Filing Date Deadlines for Planning Commission Agendas
- Public Hearing: Four weeks prior to the regular meeting date, to allow for legal advertising, posting, notification and administrative processing of application.
- Other Business: Ten days prior to the regular meeting.
- Information Items: Any additional information, charts, maps, etc., that is to be considered for any case or question before the Planning Commission shall be submitted to the Commission staff at least five working days prior to the meeting for which the matter has been scheduled. Failure by an applicant to meet this deadline will result in consideration of the matter being continued to a subsequent meeting. This rule may be waived by the concurrence of two-thirds of the members of the commission present and voting.
- Other Agency Reports: Reports from consulted agencies (Thurston County Health Department, Department of Ecology, Department of Highways, etc.) when appropriate, should be forwarded to the Planning Commission at the earliest possible date, but not later than five working days prior to ta commission meeting on the subject matter. All information items and reports to be presented shall be referred to the Commission members by mail or personal delivery as soon as possible.
The Rules of Procedures may be amended at any regular or called meeting of the Planning Commission by a majority vote of the entire membership.
APPROVED by the City of Lacey Planning Commission this 18th day of April, 1989.
Chair: Nancy Peterson; Vice Chair: Jon W. Halvorson