Community Relations & Public Affairs Committee
April 21, 2010
Noon – 12:45 p.m.
Chair, Mary Dean, Jason Hearn, Andy Ryder
Greg Cuoio, Scott Spence, Troy Woo, Carol Litten
Lacey Sister City Update on Minsk Visit
Steve Dobosz, President of Lacey-Minsk Sister City Association (LSCA), provided a calendar update of upcoming activities.
May 22, 2010:
- Sponsoring a booth at the North Thurston Public School Cultural Diversity Fair
June 21 – July 9, 2010:
- Tour to Poland . . . A delegation from LSCA will participate in American Days celebration; meet with the MILA Board, and tour Minsk and surrounding areas.
- Participation in Lacey Community Market; and Sands in the City event
- Participation in Lacey Community Market
- Host a Christmas Dinner/Auction
- Participation in craft fair at Saint Martin’s University or River Ridge High School
In reference to the trip to Poland, Steve remarked, that as the new President of LSCA, he would like to learn more about the country and meet the people of Minsk. He would like to explore opportunities for educational, cultural, sporting and music events.
Steve asked for other ideas to improve communication and collaboration between Lacey and Minsk. Council and staff shared several ideas:
- Sponsor a booth selling Polish food at Lacey Fun Fair
- City could schedule a Polish Day at the Community Market to provide exposure for LSCA
- Create a facebook page for student exchanges
- Coordinate communication between classrooms, using Skype
- Create youth challenges in a safe environment, i.e. a History Challenge
- Contact International Clubs at high schools for student input on exchange activities they would be interested in
- Organize Joint Community Service Day through International Rotaries and other organizations
- Send videos of Dixieland Jazz Festival
Steve extended an invitation to Council and staff to accompany him on the trip to Poland in June. He also inquired whether the City would like to send a small gift to Sister City members in Minsk. Staff will coordinate the request.